The best of 1998
1. Belle and Sebastian - The Boy With The Arab Strap
2. Air - Moon Safari
3. Massive Attack - Mezzanine
4. Mercury Rev - Deserter's Songs
5. Jeff Buckley - Sketches (for my sweetheart the drunk)
6. Billy Bragg and Wilco - Mermaid Avenue
7. Mogwai - Young Team
Breanndán Ó Nualláin
All time Contributors
1. Marc Olsen - Tunnel Songs
2. Mogwai - Young Team
3. Elliott Smith - Roman Candle
4. Jeff Buckley - Grace
5. Tom Waits - Blue Valentine
5. Mogwai - Kicking a Dead Pig
7. Lola Rennt - Soundtrack
8. Buena Vista Social Club
9. Gillian Welch - Revival
10. Boston - Boston (seriously. it's the only tape I have here in germany to listen to in my car)
1. Music for Vespers - Rachmaninov/St. Petersburg Chamber Choir
2. Violin concertos - JS Bach/some old french chap
3. Beethovan/Busoni/Liszt recital - Evygeny Kissin
4. Strabat mater - Boccherini/38 quartet
5. The blue note - Martin Hayes
6. Chopin live at Carnagie Hall - Evygeny Kissin
7. Debussy preludes/Images/children's corner - Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli
8. Arvo Part - Tabula Rasa
9. 16 lovers lane - The Go Betweens
10. This is my truth tell me yours - Manic Street Preachers
Heres me top ten, sorry about the two best ofs, but there I love 'em too much to leave out.
1. Adore - Smashing Pumpkins
2. The best of Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds.
3. Jeff Buckley - Sketchs (for my sweetheart the drunk)
4. Bernard Butler - People Move On.
5. Unkle - Psyence Fiction.
6. The best of James - James
7. Mezzanine - Massive Attack.
8. Stereophonics - Word Gets Around.
9. James Iha - Let It Come Down.
10. Radiohead - Airbag/How am I driving.
here it is, after very little deliberation, a rush through movie reviews
last night in an attempt to remember what I had seen this year and many
minutes spent racking my brains to recall the shows I'd seen, my Top Ten
Lists are ........
1. Luna - Bewitched
2. Belle and Sebastian - The Boy With The Arab Strap
3. Wu Tang Killa Bees - The Swarm
4. Air - Moon Safari
5. Mercury Rev - Deserter's Songs
6. DJ Shadow - Preemptive Strike
7. Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty
8. Oasis - The Masterplan
9. Lee Dorsey - Yes We Can (and then some)
10. Terry Hall - Laugh
Radiohead - The Bends
Gomez - Bring It On
Travis - Good Feeling
PJ Harvey - Is This Desire?
Gus Gus - Polydistortion
Billy Bragg and Wilco - Mermaid Avenue
Pulp - This is Hardcore
Jeff Buckley - Sketches For My Sweetheart The Drunk
Arnold - Hillside
Probably would have made if I had a few listens:
Spiritualized - Live at the Albert Hall
Beck - Mutations
Sparklehorse - Good Morning Spider
Vic Chesnutt - The Salesman and Bernadette
Compilation of the year:
Nick Cave - The Best of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
1. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - The Metro, Chicago 13/9/1998.
2. Henry Rollins - The Modjeska, Milwaukee 22/10/1998.
3. Bleed - The Cactus Club, Milwaukee 7/11/1998.
4. PJ Harvey - The Vic, Chicago 28/10/1998.
5. Drugstore - Shank Hall, Milwaukee 19/7/1998.
6. Tricky - The Metro, Chicago 26/11/1998.
7. Milwaukee Brewers vs St. Louis Cardinals - County Stadium, Milwaukee 20/9/1998. *
8. Guinness Fleadh - Arlington Race Track, Arlington 20/6/1998.
9. Swervedriver - Shank Hall, Milwaukee 19/4/1998.
10. Bob Mould - The Rave, Milwaukee 16/9/1998.
*The game Mark McGuire hit his 65th home run of the season on his way to a
record breaking 70. He actually had another homer in the same game ruled out
for fan interference (the replay showed it was legitimate).
Movies: (More interesting compilation might have been what movies I have
missed this year, rather than ones I've seen).
1. American History X
3. I Went Down
4. Sophie's Choice
5. The Butcher Boy
7. The Truman Show
8. The Big Lebowski
9. Saving Private Ryan
Here's my 1998 list. Nobody except Portishead produced their best stuff I
think, and I haven't heard the Smashing Pumpkins album. Anyway:
1. Portishead - Portishead
2. Jesus and Mary Chain - munki
3. Massive Attack - Mezzanine
4. Luna - Pup Tent
5. Goldie - Saturn Returnz
6. Sonic Youth - A thousand leaves
7. Radiohead - Airbag
8. Billy Bragg/Wilco - Mermaid Avenue
9. Tricky - Angels with dirty faces
10. Propellarheads - Decks'n'drums'n'rock'n'roll
Hon Mens: there's too many of these, i can't decide...
Photek - Form & Function
Saint Etienne - Good humour
UNKLE - Psyence fiction
Katell Keineg - Jet
Mercury Rev - Deserter's Songs
Stereolab - Space age bachelor pad music
Maura O'Connell - Wandering home
Can - Sacrilage
..maybe REM, Up, I've only just got it, and 2 Best Ofs, Nick Cave and John Hiatt.
For what it's worth, Spiritualized/Radiohead at the Paramount in Seattle
was the best live gig, I'll be lucky to see anything like it again.
1. Air - Moon Safari
2. Wu Tang Killa Bees - The Swarm
3. Mercury Rev - Deserter's Songs
4. Unkle - Psyence Fiction
5. Miles Davis - Panthalassa
6. Amon Tobin - Permutation
7. Massive Attack - Mezzanine
8. Talvin Singh - Anokha: Sounds of the Assian underground
9. Source Direct - Controlled Developments
10. REM - Up
Craig Armstrong - The Space Between us
Scud Mountain Boys - Massachusetts
Photek - Forms and Function
Howie B - Turn the dark off
DJ Krush - Milight
Loop Guru - Loop bites dog
Pulp - This is Hardcore
Gomez - Bring It On
1. Life is Beautiful (Benigni is a genius)
2. The Truman Show (another awesome concept from Andrew Niccol)
3. Celebrity (best Woody Allen in years)
4. The Butcher Boy (great adaptation of an unfilmable book)
5. My name is Joe (Peter Mullen is superb)
6. The sweet hereafter (beautifully told story from Atom Egoyan)
7. Pi (somehow it all came together)
8. The Big Lebowski (you can't go wrong with the Coen's)
9. Buffalo 66 (talented lad is Vincent Gallo)
10. The Opposite of Sex (Ricci is currently the Indie queen)
10. Jackie Brown (underrated, certainly in the States)
10. Pecker (John Water's is back)
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (some brilliant scenes early on)
I went down (Art house only release in the States)
Saving Private Ryan (for the opening half hour)
Clay Pidgeons (I can't get enough of Joaquin Phoenix)
Good will hunting (haven't they got enough credit by now?)
Henry Fool (disappointing Hartley is better than most)
The Big Hit (hey - Mark Walburg is the man)
Your Friends and Neighbors (controversial LaBute makes another one, Aaron
Eckhart is one to watch)
3. The Siege
Notable live events
Stephen Wright - Paramount Theater, Denver, 12 May.
Chicago Bulls V Denver Nuggets - McNicholas Arena, Denver, 2 February. The
Nuggets are a disaster but what an experience to see Jordan.
Chicago Cubs V Colorado Rockies - Coors Field, Denver, September. Sammy Sosa
didn't hit one out that night but he sure gave McGwire a run for his money.
Denver Broncos V San Diego Chargers. Elway injured himself in pre game warm
ups but Brister proved again the Broncos team strength.
Ninja Tour: Amon Tobin, Spacetime Continuum, Mixmaster Morris - LoDo Music
Center, Denver, September.
Danny the Wild Child, Pressure, Snake Pit, Denver - October.
Massive Attack, Ogden Theater, Denver - September.
Tortoise, Ogden Theater, Denver, 28 May.
Tricky - The Metro, Chicago 26 November.
Brian Fenton's blurb
...my top 10 films of the year are:
1. The Butcher Boy (something patriotic within me stirred whilst on holiday
in Vienna and I convinced myself to go see this. Thankfully it was
sub-titled, not dubbed in German, so I almost enjoyed myself.)
2. Barb Wire (caught this while calling into a friend recently, and decided
to hang around for it as the special effects were uplifting)
3. Whatever shite RTE are showing on Christmas Day as I try and remember all
my neighbours' names and not fall asleep during the annual "there's fuckall
happening in our house and someone finished off the last of the whiskey, so
we're going to come over and bore the arses of yiz until yiz give us all
your drink and we spill it all over your couch and our selves, whilst our
kids eat all yer fucking sweets except the coffee ones which they'll give to
our smelly fucking dog who'll vomit it up on your new shoes until you feel
like screaming, but you can't fucking scream cos we're the neighbours and
we'll tell every fucker in the parish that yeer a bunch of weirdos if anyone
in this house so much as fucking blinks strangely, and that'll be the
fucking end of yiz around here then. So it will. And good fucking riddance
too yiz good for nottin tightarses and giz some more of that whiskey.
Bastards." gettogether. Probably "Indiana Jones in Some Other Terrifying
Edifice" or something.
Here's my top 10:
1. Scud Mountain Boys - The Early Years
2. Ron Sexsmith - Other Songs
3. Scud Mountain Boys - Massachusetts
4. Red House Painters - Ocean Beach
5. Sophia - Fixed Water
6. David Gray - Flesh
7. Low - The Curtain Hits The Cast
8. Seam - Are You Driving Me Crazy?
9. Michael Nyman - Live
10. Jeff Buckley - Sketches For My Sweetheart The Drunk
Top 10 1998
1. Other Songs - Ron Sexsmith
2. Smitten - Buffalo Tom
3. Good Morning Spider -Sparklehorse
4. White Magic for Lovers - Drugstore
5. Mermaid Avenue - Wilco & Billy Bragg
6. The Boy with the Arab Strap - Belle & Sebastian
7. White Ladder - David Gray
8. International Velvet - Catatonia
9. Up - REM
10. Without you I'm Nothing - Placebo
Deserter's Songs - Mercury Rev
Mezzanine - Massive Attack
Fin de Siecle - Divine Comedy
Brimful of Asha - Norman Cook/Cornershop
Road Rage - Catatonia
Postcard - Buffalo Tom
El President - Drugstore
Ron Sexsmith - Olympia
Dom Irrera - Limerick
Mark Doherty - Kilkenny
Echo & the Bunnymen - Olympia
Dylan Moran - Kilkenny
David Gray - Limerick
Tommy Tiernan - Limerick
Cover of the year
David Gray's 9 minute interpretation of Soft Cell's Say Hello Wave
1. The Big Lebowski
2. Out of Sight
4. The Spanish Prisoner
5. The General
Something about Mary
1. Massive Attack - Mezzanine
2. Tortoise - TNT
3. Arto Lindsay - Noon Chill
4. Mogwai - Young Team
5. Elliott Smith - XO
6. Whiskeytown - Strangers Almanac
7. Swervedriver - 99th Dream
8. Remy Zero - Villa Elaine
9. Jeff Buckley - Sketches (For My Sweetheart the Drunk)
10. Pulp - This Is Hardcore
1. Belle & Sebastian - The Boy with the Arab Strap
2. Cornelius - Fantasma
3. Hayden - The Closer I get
4. PJ Harvey - Is This Desire?
5. Arab Strap - Philophobia
6. Jay Jay Johanson - Whiskey
7. Air - Moon Safari
8. Jeff Buckley - My Sweetheart the Drunk
9. Mark Eitzel - I'm Caught in a Trap and I can't back out because I love you too much, baby
10. Craig Armstrong - The Space Between us
1 - Jeff Buckley - Grace
2 - Air - Moon Safari
3 - Lou Reed - Transformer
4 - REM - Document
5 - Spiritualized - Ladies and Gents, we are floating in space
6 - Radiohead - OK Computer
7 - Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92
8 - Leftfield - Leftism
9 - U2 Pop
10 - The Divine Comedy - A Short Album About Love
1. Bob Dylan - Live 1966
2. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
3. DJ Shadow - Endtroducing
4. Billy Bragg / Wilco - Mermaid Avenue
5. REM - Up
6. Air - Moon Safari
7. Painted from Memory - Elvis Costello / Burt Bacharach
8. Manic Street Preachers - This is my truth, tell me yours
9. Smashing Pumpkins - Adore
10. Alpha - Come from Heaven
Gomez - Bring it on
Finley Quaye - Maverick A Strike
Katell Keineg - Jet
U.N.K.L.E. - Psyence fiction
I am going to take your request literally and name the top 10 albums I
listened to (for the first time) in 1998. I don't think its been a very good
year so I'm afraid there is a lot of old stuff in it.
1) Mercury Rev - "Deserter's Songs"
2) Beastie Boys - "Hello Nasty"
3) Radiohead - "Airbag/How Am I Driving"
4) David Gray - "White Ladder"
5) Asian Dub Foundation - "Rafi's Revenge"
6) Dandy Warhols - "The Dandy Warhols Come Down"
7) Fatboy Slim - "You've Come A Long Way Baby"
8) The Rolling Stones - "Exile On Main Street"
9) De La Soul - "3 Feet High And Rising"
10) Oasis - "The Masterplan"
Breanndán Ó Nualláin
I'm not quite sure how I got on this list but it's certainly a good way to
look back over one's musical year so I'll bite.
I'm not big on scoring points and all that. When it comes down to it, how
do you compare Hole with Belle & Sebastian? So my Top 10 in some kind of
rough order are these:
Gomez. Bring it on.
Belle & Sebastian. The Boy with the Arab Strap.
Hole. Celebrity Skin.
Pedro the Lion. It's Hard to Find a Friend.
Zita Swoon. I Paint Pictures on a Wedding Dress.
Billy Bragg & Wilco. Mermaid Avenue.
Soul Coughing. El Oso.
Cake. Prolonging the magic.
Nuff Said. Red.
In my view, a list is more fun with an explanation so here's mine. If you
aren't interested in my waffle, skip through it to my favourite gigs at the
1. 'is this desire' pj harvey
2. 'my sweetheart the drunk' jeff buckley
3. 'the boy with the arab strap ' belle+sebastian
4. sushi 4004
5. 'one love' delakota
6. 'young team' mogwai
7. 'take off and landing' yoshinori sunahara
8. 'xo' elliot smith
9. 'the sky is too high' graham coxon
10. 'mutations' beck